The Stigma-Free Society is currently looking to hire an additional Stigma-Free Zone School Presenter to join our team!
The Stigma-Free Society provides education and awareness about the effects of stigma, as well as peer support for those facing personal challenges in hopes of fostering acceptance of ourselves and others. One of our primary programs is the Stigma-Free Zone School Program.
We are looking for an extraordinary individual to tell their amazing personal story of hope and resiliency in schools to small and large groups. With an initial focus on mental health, we have now expanded our mandate to include all stigmas under the Stigma-Free Zone banner (www.stigmafreesociety.com) with an emphasis on mental health, LGBTQ2+, homelessness, race, and substance use. If you have a powerful story of overcoming obstacles and dealing with stigma, be it societal stigma or self-stigma, we welcome your application.
We are seeking a school presenter with passion and positivity–someone who has lived through and overcome many challenges. If you are truly inspired to share your story with youth in schools (grades 7-12) and occasionally with adults at businesses and organizations, then please keep reading!
This position best suits someone who is VERY accepting and comfortable with themselves and their personal circumstances and is not afraid to talk about their struggles in a public forum. This someone wants to shout their story from the rooftops because they feel that their experiences will make a difference in the lives of others.
A Stigma-Free Zone Presenter must:
- Be professional and possess experience in public speaking;
- Be open-minded and willing to learn from different perspectives;
- Have a positive, respectful attitude and a willingness to be open and authentic;
- Be comfortable with public speaking and presenting to small or large audiences;
- Be self-motivated, punctual, and able to take direction;
- Have an engaging and impacting personal story to share;
- Prior experience working with youth is an asset
- You will create a PowerPoint presentation with the Society’s guidance and it must be suitable for youth in grades 7-12;
- You will be presenting between 45 to 90 minutes to classes or assemblies and various groups in the community;
- We will train you. The training will generally take about 2-3 weeks to complete (part-time) and you will be paid $400;
- We want to put out a very positive message and we welcome stories that are tough. We are seeking applicants who have been through a great deal to get to where they are today and we will work with you to share your story that will encourage others;
- It is very key to know that if hired, we ask you to commit to work with us for 1 year;
- There is not an average number of presentations promised, but enough that is rewarding and will give you the skills and practice you need to keep you inspired;
- We expect you to be aware and educated about various marginalized communities and on what available mental health resources exist in the community; and
- We pay you a flat rate of $100 per presentation – this fee includes all of your expenses, including gas.
*VERY IMPORTANT TO NOTE – You will be contracted during the school year with summers off. This position is best suited to someone who has a part-time job and/or plenty of flexibility in their schedule. We offer a minimum of 2 weeks’ notice for each presentation, so you can plan ahead.
**You require a guaranteed means of transport to and from your presentation. Public transportation is not acceptable as it is very important you are to show up at schools 20 minutes for set-up before a presentation and many schools are not accessible by public transit.
We would really love to hear from you and have you join our amazing Stigma-Free Society Team. Please be sure to describe in your Cover Letter why you believe you have a powerful story to share.
APPLICATIONS WITHOUT A COVER LETTER WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED.
Remember that no matter what our challenges, we can all live extraordinary lives!
We look forward to receiving your resume and cover letter at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Thank you 🙂