I Pledge to:
- Educate myself about the various stigmas in society and learn how negative perceptions and attitudes may affect people. I will share my findings with others.
- Be open to talk about and learn the facts about societal stigma, particularly the stigma of mental illness.
- Tell at least one person about the Stigma-Free Tool on the Stigma-Free Society website and encourage others to assess their own views and perceptions.
- Make a strong public commitment to live the values of respect and inclusion for all people with differences such as mental illness, physical and developmental disabilities, race, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, etc.
- Remind my peers that name-calling and bullying are not okay anywhere. Stand up for yourself, and others, who are targeted by bullies. Bullying does not just take place at school and many adults deal with bullying in their daily lives.
- Avoid language that puts someone down because of differences such as mental illness, physical and developmental disabilities, race, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, etc.
- Think about my responses to daily situations and ‘check’ my attitude where I may initially judge someone who faces stigma in their daily lives